Friday, December 16, 2005

Can you hear me now, Mom? Good.



Is it just me, or are kids' Christmas lists getting out of hand? Some of the top requested gifts this year were iPods, Xbox, and robotic dinosaurs, (which would be really cool except for the price tag).

The lady who does my hair told me her nephew asked for only one thing this Christmas. A cell phone. He is six. Six. What the heck would a six year old do with a cell phone?
"Mom, it's me, Jack. I am in the living room...could you please start the Spongebob DVD over for me. Oh, I could use some more juice."
The best part is, his mom is considering it. What the?!?
"But it is the only thing he asked for."
Is that how it works then? Fine, then the only thing I'm asking for is a platinum three stone diamond anniversary ring.

iPods are cool, but if someone in my house is getting an iPod, it will be someone over 4 feet tall. Already the only thing I see of my son when we are in the car is his forehead bathed in the blue glow of his Gameboy. If we add an iPod we could lose him altogether.

Thankfully, we have eluded the demands for the overly-hyped, overpriced gadgets this year. My daughter wants Play Dough. And Play Dough she shall have. It's when she starts molding it into a cell phone and sending text messages to Dora we need to worry.

7 Comments:

Blogger Nancie Neal said...

Two words: dollar store (heh)

It helps not to have satellite or cable. We just watch rented or bought kid's movies. No advertisements.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

My son loves stuff from the dollar store. My son started quoting TV commercials when he was very little. Fortunatly, they were for Bounty - the quicker picker upper. He got a roll in his Easter basket!

7:32 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Oh my. I see I need to cherish this Christmas where my son doesn't know to ask for things & can say very little anyway!

A cell phone at 6?! I didn't get my first car til I was 22. Oy.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

ps - oh yeah. The Dollar Store rules. We're into Hot Wheels here!

6:45 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

As wonderful as it is when kids start talking...I sometimes miss the time when they could only coo and babble! Yep, enjoy it while you can, Marie!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Juggling Mother said...

Oh yes, the saving grace of the BBC - no adverts!

we have a strict cash limit on presents & will not go above it (not even when hubby really wants the new toy too!) And it's nowhere near enough for electronic goods:-)

Still, my 5 year old has a mobile (cell phone). I know, I know, but we gave it to him the day after he wandered off on his own in town one day. Did he cry? Ask another adult for help? Go back to the shop? No, he just took himself home, let himself in & calmly answered the phone when I frantically called 30 minutes later!

Still, it's an old model, locked to only 3 numbers, and only has £5 credit on it.

5:37 AM  
Blogger prying1 said...

Sorry this comment is late but you can save it for next year or birthdays. Toys of the 50's/60's (and earlier) can really be great gifts. A Wheelo, Slinky, as you say, Play Dough, Hula Hoop, Bubbles, Etch-A-Sketch all are greast fun and relatively inexpensive. Plus none of their friends will be getting them so they are now unique gifts.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home