Wednesday, January 11, 2006

A Love Story...Eeeek!

My daughter is in love. It began before Christmas, but she has spent the past two days professing her love as often and emphatically as possible. His name is Brighton, and he is cute and nice. At least that is what her preschool teacher told me when prodded for details. Yeah, you read that right - preschool. My daughter is two and a half.
A little back story my daughter hates boys. Hates. She even made up a little song about how much she does, in fact, hate boys...

"I hate boys. I hate boys. I hate Booooys! I hate that boy in the blue stripey shirt. I hate booooys!" (she learned the word hate from Finding Nemo, not me so don't start throwing shoes.)

Then she announces, out of the blue..."I like Brighton!"
"But Brighton is a boy," I protest, I thought you didn't li.."
She cuts me off mid-sentence - "But I. Like. Brighton."
To be followed by "I am going to go to Brighton's house, Mama. You can come too."
"I like playing with Brighton."
"I want Brighton to come see my room."
"Brighton and I like swinging" (Common interests)
"Brighton is nice. He doesn't hit or yell." (Always good attributes)
"Brighton cut his finger with the scissors. It was bleeding, bleeding, bleeding. He didn't cry, though." (Ahh, tough too)
"I am wearing overalls, just like Brighton. I want to wear them allllll day!" (Good fashion sense)
She goes to bed sleep at night singing the praises of Brighton to my husband.

Tuesday, when I dropped her off at school I tried to get myself a peek at this Brighton. No such luck. He wasn't there yet.
" Oh he is cute!" the teacher exclaimed. "And such a nice, nice little guy. Quite a gentle little boy. So sweet."

Hmmm, he seems to be quite something, this Brighton. I wonder how his parents feel about arranged marriages?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awe! That's the cutest thing I've ever heard!

7:37 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

i like brighton too!

just found your blog through frogs & fireflies and since it's de-lurking week, am leaving a comment.

5:11 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

Sounds like at the very least she has good taste in friends! Sweet.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Gem said...

My daughter fell head-over-heels for Joe on Blues Clues when she was 3. It was right when Steve left and Joe came on. She would say every day, "Joe's coming over today. He likes me." My husband was a little freaked out, thinking about her real crushes down the road. I thought it was adorable!

8:19 AM  
Blogger IzzyMom said...

I just went through something very similar with my daughter. She's only 5 and very sheltered so this is really unexpected.

The love of her life is Bobby, a boy she goes to preschool with. "Bobby Boy" is what she calls him, to be exact. She recently spent one entire weekend regaling me with different scenarios of how she will profess her love to Bobby Boy on the playground.

I'm so not ready for this growing up stuff.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home