Monday, February 27, 2006

If You Can't Beat 'Em....

Here is my "things that annoy me" moment of the day...I was informed by an acquaintance that if I had joined some groups or socialized more, that I would like living where I am and not be homesick. Interesting theory I suppose, but it has one fatal flaw. I didn't join groups in California either, and yet managed to be happy where I was. I am not a joiner. I do not join groups. I never have.
One of the groups she was referring to was Mom's Club. I was part of a Mom's Club once. I stuck around long enough to find two people I liked hanging out with, who remain my close friends today. Then I bailed. I had nothing in common with any of the women involved - aside from the fact that I was a breeder. That doesn't make the conversation all that fascinating. How many Mom's Night Outs can you spend chatting about how Junior won't use the potty or little Janie is still waking up twice a night at 13 months old? Call me anti-social, but I can think of a million things I would rather get a babysitter for. Don't get me wrong, I am not against Mom's Clubs, and I would never knock moms commiserating with other moms. I just refuse to believe that it has to be done in well-organized packs.

What is it with women and the need to join things? You don't see this trait half as much in men. When was the last time you saw a gaggle of men headed off to the restroom together? Any men having a Pampered Chef party in your town? I'm thinking no. Is the need to travel in clumps part of the female genetic makeup? If so, I guess I'm missing that gene.

I may sound a little bitter and cranky. It just irks me for it to be implied that my overwhelming urge to fill a suitcase with clean underwear and start hitchhiking back to CA could be somehow cured by hosting playgroup. Bah. That is all.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say f 'em - seriously - I hate the mom groups too - particularly MOPS - no offense to MOPS mommies - but around here - it's pretty damn painful. AND, I do not care about how to make a cool toy out of toilet paper tube.

6:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel ya!! I'm the same way, though, without the children. I don't do group activities - parties, gatherings, meet-ups. No thanks.

I must be missing that gene, too. And I get just as much grief for it. I'll hang out on the net with you while all our friends go gather...how about that? :)

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sound like me. This is what I've figured out after all these years: I'm not a leader and I'm not a follower. I'm a party of one.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Fern Bourrie said...

Come back to California!!! You don't need to start a playgroup here. I'm not helping your homesickness any, am I? Sorry.
How long have you been in Colorado? Maybe it just takes time to adjust. :)

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home