Thursday, January 26, 2006

The Thrill of the Hunt?

Since I have moved to Colorado, I have been surprised by the fact that so many people go hunting. Elk hunting, duck hunting. Hunting. This is a totally confusing concept to me. I don't see the purpose, and frankly it just seems, well, cruel.

It is a sport, I was told. A sport? It doesn't really seem to be much of a matchup. A person with all sorts of high tech equipment...that includes the rifle....against an unarmed, unsuspecting animal? Now if you were going to wrestle the elk with your bare hands, that may be a sport. And what about duck hunting? A duck has a brain the size of a marble. Is it really that impressive that you are able to shoot it with a hunting rifle, with a laser sight, after calling it with a duck call? It smacks of a big brother holding something just out of reach of a smaller brother, taunting him, and feeling superior. Yeah, he can do it because he is taller and smarter, but is it really admirable behavior?

I enjoy it. It takes skill. I would enjoy hiding in the shrubs and throwing sticks into the spokes of bikers as they pedal by in their spandex shorts. And it does take skill to land the stick in the exact...right...place. That doesn't make it a sport. Or fair. Funny, but not fair. And not even close to being a sport. Although, I'd watch that on ESPN2 in a heartbeat.

I suppose an small exception could be made for those who are actually going to eat what they hunt. Because it is hard to make it through life without a good elk burger and a cold one.

As you can probably tell, I am a vegetarian. But the rest of my family are not. I buy meat. I prepare meat. I am not some raving animal rights activist. I just don't see the sport in a match up that is never played on an even playing field. Plus, there is just something ridiculous about a grown man lying in the bushes, covered in Elk musk, trying to put a new Budweiser in his Dale Earnhardt can cozy without making a sound. Well, see, maybe I was wrong. Maybe it is a sport. Snort.

4 Comments:

Blogger IzzyMom said...

I'm with you. I come from a family where hunting is practiced and heartily enjoyed. I loathe it and have no conception of how it could be fun to kill something. I really just don't get it. And Ted Nugent? Puh! I HATE him. I'd love to see a laser sight trained on his skinny ass. So as not to offend anyone any more than I usually do...if you are like that woman from Wifeswap and your husband is such a loser that he *needs* to hunt for food (squirrels??? Umm...GROSSS) I'm sorry and I deeply apologize for thinking hunters and hunting suck.

You are brave to take on such a lightning rod topic. Only posts about Oprah generate more heat...lol

10:57 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

Izzy: Squirrels? Maybe I need to start watching WifeSwap.
Oh and...
I hate Oprah too. Flame away people.

11:41 AM  
Blogger 0000 said...

Yeah, that is the funny/sad thing about hunting for sport. Men guff and gaw and pat themselves on the back for shooting fish in a barrel, as it were.

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hunting is huge down here in the SOUTH. Ladies, men, kids - etc. I had like 5 college students (females) that would go catfishing with their hubbies. How romantic... I prefer other activities - that don't involve killing small animals (even if they are yucky fish!).

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home